Tuesday, August 7, 2012

When Disgruntled Appliances Attack

So this week I've been working on my new schedule/routine. I really hate the word Schedule, seems too FORMAL. I'll be posting about that as a Guest Post over on Small Business Success later this week or early next week, so look for that there... Anyway, back to the routine stuff... Part of my new routine, is to work on Meal Planning, so yesterday I went through the pantry, fridge and freezer to see what we had and then headed over to Pinterest to see what I could do with it. I found some great new recipes and today's dinner is supposed to be Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Pork Roast from I Believe I Can Fry, which I had started to marinade last night and had to sear and put into the crock pot this morning.

So I've got pork in the frying pan, the bowl with the marinade on the counter beside me, and I'm reheating my coffee in the tea kettle on the back burner (we use a french press coffee maker and I got up late this morning so MY half was cold). The pork gets done, coffee is finishing up, I reach up onto the shelf above the stove, where we keep miscellaneous appliances and gadgets, to grab my crock pot (you see where this is going yet?), and as I'm pulling the crock pot down, it's caught up in a casserole dish and catches onto the edge of our old deep fryer.

We haven't used said deep fryer in about a year because we were given a bigger and more functional one, so this one (that used to be used Oh so frequently) has literally been sitting up on the shelf, collecting dust... feeling lonely, probably hoping and praying each time we reached up there that we would grab onto it's handle and lovingly pull it down, wipe the dust off, apologize for neglecting it for so long, and, well, you see where I'm going with that...

Anyway, the deep fryer apparently decided that since we have neglected it for so long, revenge is in order. The fryer comes FLYING down AT ME, and APPARENTLY the genius that put it up there, neglected to remove the last batch of oil that was used.... a YEAR ago... I wonder who that was?

So yeah, 1 year old, used, probably rancid cooking oil comes FLYING out of the deep fryer... Luckily for me and my cat-like reflexes (Guffaw!) I was able to jump back and out of the way of the airborne oil particles. It DID however get ALL over my kitchen, stove, counters, pots and pans, WINDOW and floor.... did I mention we have CARPET in the kitchen? (Eh, don't forget, we are in the middle of renovating this century old farmhouse, lol, its an old scrap of carpet laid down to help insulate us from the basement because we have no actual floor boards lol)

And GUESS whose name is on KITCHEN duty according to the Family Chore Chart this week? You guessed it... Momma. *Sigh*

On a more positive note... guess which disgruntled kitchen appliance will be getting cleaned up and then finding its way to the Yard Sale box? ;)

4 comments:

LoserBoy said...

That's what you get...who has carpet in the kitchen????

Michelle said...

Hey, I left a comment earlier..what happened to it?? I asked if the meal you were cooking survived

~* J *~ said...

haha, Thankfully, yes, the meal survived, and smells AMAZING in the crockpot!

Chris said...

If that rancid grease had stayed up there much longer, it would have been able to crawl out of there on its own.

Post a Comment